Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Departure - part 3

It's been nearly a year to date when things started going awry. It was vacation bible school time. I had intentionally chosen the lesson I would teach - the apostle Paul's salvation, baptism, and being let down in a basket over a wall. Basically the lesson was on the church, what it is, and it's importance.

By this time, Steve had already met with the pulpit search committee and had been questioned, which led to another meeting and another questioning. Then Bible School came and things were "quiet." After Bible School there was another meeting which led up to the August business meeting in which Steve resigned as interim pastor and asked that his name be removed from the list of potential pastors. Here are the verses he read as he resigned...

Psalm 149
Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints. Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp. For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation. Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand; To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people; To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron; To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.


By the time Steve finished reading he was shouting and crying "this honour have all his saints." And then, he closed his bible and sat down beside me. Everyone, I guess, was in shock. Just a moment passed and the song director was back in the pulpit, called for the pianist, asked Steve and me to stand up front while the congregation came around to "confirm their love for us." I cannot begin to express the emotional scene and this display. Nearly everyone was crying, nearly everyone hugged us, nearly everyone apologized. The church literally had no idea, just the pulpit committee and and some others.

After this horrendous ordeal, everyone took their seats and like dutiful baptists, the show must go on...and so the business meeting continued with Steve and I sitting in our normal 4th pew from the front spot with everyone else behind us. The August Business Meeting is always the election of officers and teachers.

Under "New Business" Steve continued with the resigning. Here is a list of what we resigned.
Primary class Sunday School teacher - me
Adult Sunday School class, Assistant teacher - Steve
Wednesday night girls class, Assistant teacher - me
Wednesday night boys class, Teacher - Steve
Assistant pianist - me
3rd Assistant organ - me (I don't think this one really counts)
Assistant choir director - me

There was, to be fair - a bit of hesitance by some and questioning as to if it was o.k. to refuse this request. But it was granted with opposition duly noted.

I'm not really sure how the night ended. I know the meeting ended. I know I somehow made it home. I know there was more bewilderment and unbelief from so many. But love still wasn't enough.

1 comment:

  1. you should search for a song by
    Bob Bennet...he sings the words of
    Psalm 149. Its lovely.
    and comforting :)

    ReplyDelete