Monday, June 29, 2009

A Departure - part 2

Have you ever left something? I mean left? Walked away? Turned your back? ...and it wasn't pretty?

I'm doing that. With my family. My husband and children. We're doing it together. Walking away from practically everything we ever known concerning the church. And it is not pretty.

I've been trying to pinpoint a place and time in which this process began. But like most things of this nature, there is rarely a decisive turning point. It's small things here and little things there.

I can very vividly remember being told at the young age of 24, "you're just not spiritual enough." And while this was not a turning point, it made an impact on me. Time passed and I did what all good fundamental baptists do, try harder to be more spiritual.

In 1993, Steve and I moved to Little Rock, Arkansas. Abigail was 3 months old. We visited the Independent Fundamental Baptist church near where we lived and knew that was not the place for us. We visited Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church, and although we did not completely agree with everything not written, we joined because we loved it. We loved the place. We loved the people. Of course it does help when a majority of the church members are family.
In 1994, Steve entered the Missionary Baptist Seminary. He was licensed to preach and then ordained as a minister of the gospel. Except for a nearly 4 year term in Hensley, AR pastoring Lone Pine Missionary Baptist Church, we have been at PRMBC.

Another impacting event (not a turning point, mind you) was when I read The Bible in Eight Ages. A definitive work for any gap theory dispensationalist. I was livid after reading the book and set out to biblically refute it, which I did.

There have been no other impacting events. Nothing but little things here and there, not enough to breakup over. Love was enough. It's not enough anymore

1 comment:

  1. One good thing....
    is there one?

    that is...you don't know the
    end of the story yet. you never
    know how your actions will impact others. so do what you are doing
    by faith! and see what happens :)

    you know I can say this with confidence :)

    ReplyDelete